Saturday, October 25, 2008

More Blessings

We went to shul this morning--Debbie and I. This is a rare occurrence in itself. One congregant told me she searched the Yartzeit list to see if we were their to honor the memory of a departed loved one. Why else would both of us be there?

We were there not to give blessing so much as to receive. Yes, we recited the blessing over the Torah. That was an honor given us to position us on the bema to receive the rabbi’s blessing for our trip. I had arranged this in advance. I knew it was something I wanted to do. Debbie was willing to join me in shul for this. I suspect neither of us anticipated exactly what it would mean to receive this blessing.

We ascended the bema. I touched my tallit to the text in the scroll that was to be read. I kissed the tallit and extended it to Debbie's lips for her to show her reverence to the Torah as well. I placed my hands on the turned wooden handles of the scroll. We chanted the ancient Hebrew words praising the source of this precious heritage. After the reader chanted the Torah verses we added the concluding prayers and then turned to the rabbi for his blessing.

His words were rich with meaning for each of us and for the two of us as a couple. All I had expected was some version of the traveler’s prayer that asks God to guide one in peace, keep one from dangers on the way, bring blessing to the work of one's hands, and return one home in peace. The rabbi included that. He prefaced it, however, with words that blessed our relationship, that spoke of our spiritual growth, that called for my deeper connection to the causes for which I am riding--peace and the environment. He said more. My memory fails me. What I do remember clearly was the welling of tears in my eyes as he touched my soul so deeply, and the warmth of Debbie's presence at my side.

It was a true blessing.

Debbie and I left the bimah changed. I felt a connection that I know we will maintain as we fling ourselves half a world away. Two connected souls in strange new beautiful bewildering inspiring places.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Beautiful. Happy to read about your journey. Guess I am not the only blogger in the family. :)